2023-09-19

Cheers and Sighs

Cheers and Sighs

Sigh -

I was at a dance, in a hurry, and needed to get a phone number from someone so that I could text them. They texted me their VCard contact and I imported it. But when I tried to start a text, it wasn't there. Checking in my contact app, there it was, but sorted by first name. The last name was part of the first name instead of a separate value. Fixed, back to text - not there. I verified that it was in my contact list. Restarted my text app, hoping it would import the changed contact list. No. Gave up. The next day I investigated again. Ah - the phone was listed as a home phone, not mobile. So the text app ignored it. Sigh. I can't trust my phone when I'm in a panic. I hope I remember how to dial 911 when the time comes.

Yay -

The new Toyota Prius is a huge step forward. It's a 2023 model, 5th generation, I saw one on the road for the first time a few days ago. By far Toyota's prettiest car. No monster grill. Six inches of ground clearance. 0-60 mph in under 8 seconds. 52 mpg. 10.6 gallons gas tank - with the typical 2 gallon reserve, that's over 400 miles - good enough. Nice - except I really like my Crosstrek's 8.7 inch ground clearance.

Yay -

The Kroger near me has been stocking Dip t-shirts. Nice cotton and unusual, nice colors. About twice the price of t-shirts that I used to get at Walmart. But no-one was selling good t-shirts any more - undersized, polyester blends, boring colors (black, navy blue, red, white), until I found Dip.

Sigh -

What is the fascination with shark attacks? Any shark attack in the world is on NBC, CBS, ABC, and NPR evening news. A few people get mangled or killed every year. That's maybe .0000002% of the world's human population.

Sigh -

My favorite pants - L.L.Bean's Lakewashed, 5 pocket, cotton pants. Cut like jeans, with front pockets that don't promote pick-pocketing, and half the weight of jeans. Great for dancing. GONE.

Yay, Sigh -

I received a new pair of glasses from Zenni Optical today - $50 total with frame, bifocal, anti-reflective coating. Nice, inexpensive. But - The temple pieces are flex titanium. And unfortunately, one side has a lot more curve than the other. How do you change the curve on flex titanium? I can bend it 90 degrees and it unbends to it's original shape.

Fortunately, this is the third "identical" pair that I have purchased. I replaced the pieces with the pieces from my first pair - just a year of use with no noticeable wear. But this seems to be a fundamental problem with flex titanium. You can't accidentally bend your frame, but you also can't bend it intentionally.

No comments:

Post a Comment