2022-12-18

Samsung Galaxy S22

Samsung Galaxy S22

I've had my Samsung Galaxy S22 phone for about a month now, having replaced a Google Pixel 4a.

The Pixel 4a is a very nice phone, but riddled with bugs, due in part to constant updating of the operating system. For example the always on lock screen works well for months, then after a monthly OS update, I pull it out of my belt pack and the screen is black. This happens regularly until another OS update. Gmail crashes once every few days, then an OS update and it's crashing multiple times every day. My Airpods (wireless earphone) work well for over a year, then an OS update and they will not work on a phone call (but work upon ending the call). Google doesn't seem to understand the importance of basic function.

My search for a reasonably sized phone led me to the iPhone 13 Mini - returned for lack of important function (always on lock screen, clock with current time zone). And there is no 14 Mini. On to the S22.

The S22 is slightly larger than the Pixel 4a, but much heavier. It has an aluminum frame and glass back. It baffles me why plastic isn't the standard - light and tough.

Because of the very narrow screen bezel, a case is needed that lets you hold the phone without accidentally touching the screen (this is common these days). Spigen make a nice one. Of course it covers the back glass, so what was the point of using glass?

It has wireless charging - very handy. I got a phone stand charger (holds the phone upright). Set the phone down a half inch from centered to avoid charging it - the extra half inch should be built into the stand. I added a Magsafe compatible steel ring to the case. This lets you use a Magsafe compatible car phone holder/charger. Very handy.

   

The cameras (3 of them) are on the side of the back of the phone, raised by about a millimeter. When you lay the phone on a table, and touch the screen, the phone inevitably wobbles. Very annoying. I drilled and tapped a hole in the case for a 3mm screw, got a nylon screw and ground the head down to 1mm, cut the thread to 1mm length, screwed it in - no more wobble. I should have paid the extra for black nylon.

   

The fingerprint reader is on the display. If your finger is too dry, it doesn't work - touch it to your tongue to make it work. The Pixel 4a location, on the back of the phone, is much easier to use. But Google decided that Samsung was right and changed their newer phones.

Samsung left off the next alarm time from their lock screen. The next alarm is important since I use my phone as my alarm clock. I would like to glance at it to verify that the correct alarm is set. Sigh.

I installed Nova Launcher, Gboard, Gmail, Calengoo, Talking Alarm Clock Beyond, True Phone Dialer, and my own clock widget, weather widget, calculator, MP3 player. Everything worked. My Airpods work, Gmail hasn't crashed, the lock screen works correctly.

Android 13 came along in early December. Everything still worked!

The camera(s) work well. Nice zoom. I don't use it very much.

So, a successful new phone, but could be better.

Thankfully, Samsung gave up on the rounded display edge. I didn't ever try one, but it must have been torture trying to avoid unintended screen touches. And it made no sense at all if the rounded screen was buried in a case. The vertical elevator control that went along with it is still there, but useless with a case, and I don't know what use it ever had anyway.

I think Google has given up on their squeeze cover. But they shouldn't have given up on the back fingerprint reader.

Why is there a camera bump? On (almost?) all new phones. Why not have the rest of the case as thick as the camera and use the extra volume for a bigger battery?

There is a neat case with a sliding camera cover for the S22 (and others). But is too bulky for me, and the slide is too hard to operate.

A long time ago, I complained about phones not improving. This one has two major improvements since that time - the always on lock screen and wireless charging. Better camera if that's important to you. Better water resistance if that's important to you. 5G maybe a little faster than 4G.

Google - you have lost a customer because of a constant stream of bugs.

Apple - you have lost a potential customer because of basic function. A clock that doesn't tell you what time zone it's displaying the time in isn't telling you the time. An OLED screen that doesn't give you an always on lock screen is not taking advantage of the technology.

Samsung - the next alarm time should be on the always on lock screen. Right now, my screen reads "Sun, December 18". Why abbreviate "Sunday", but not "December"? And the fingerprint symbol has a lot of wasted on pixels. Just a dot would get the job done.

Apple and Google - not everyone wants a monster sized phone.

No comments:

Post a Comment