2022-07-26

A Postscript Printer for Linux

A Postscript Printer for Linux 

Warning - only of interest to people who need a Postscript printer.

After a lengthy search for an inexpensive mono laser printer with embedded Postscript, for my Linux Ubuntu system, I had given up. Until I lucked onto the Brother HL-L6200DW (which Amazon's search engine did not lead me to). This is a $320 business mono laser printer with WiFi, duplex, and a nice surprise - a 500 page sheet feeder. And an even nicer surprise - embedded Postscript.

For Ubuntu - before you connect the printer, go to Brother's web site, download the LPR driver, and install it. This driver sends data to the printer as Postscript.

Setup is somewhat easier than some WiFi printers because you can enter the WiFi information with the printer's button panel with (small) LCD screen.

I have a PDF book of sheet music (vector graphics, 37 pages). It prints dramatically faster with the LPR driver than with the default driver. And with embedded Postscript I can send Postscript straight to the print queue.

I select the driver by choosing these settings (couldn't find HL-L6200DW, but Brother Postscript emulation is what counts).

  • local driver
  • Brother
  • HL-5370DW
  • HL-5370DW BR-Script3[en]




No comments:

Post a Comment